I used to hate the look of the frozen waffles you buy in the stores.
If you go to a dessert place like Demetres and order a waffle, they usually load it with a lot of ice cream and chocolate sauce. It ends up soo heavy and unhealthy.
I really like waffles, but I like my own waffles.
I have made them for family and friends many times.
I make the waffles eggless, so from a health store you can usually buy a box of egg replacer; I use it and keep the box in the fridge so that it lasts a long time.
This recipe can be made vegan if you replace the milk with soy milk. I have tried it with soy milk, if you are adventurous you can try almond milk, but almond milk is thinner then regular milk or soy milk so you may have to experiment and adjust the quantity. Sunflower oil is healthier then canola oil, so whenever possible use that over vegetable oil (canola oil).
Everyone has really enjoyed my waffles, so finally here is the recipe.
Homemade waffle batter – ingredients
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 table spoons sugar (use cane sugar for healthier)
- 8 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 3 & 1/2 cups of milk or soy milk
- 4 teaspoons egg replacer
Yield: 5-6 waffles
Mix 1-5 together for the dry ingredients in a bowl
Take another bowl and mix the wet ingredients together.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together with a whisk or hand mixer until lumps are gone.
Topping Suggestions for healthy yet delicious tasting waffles.
You don’t want the waffle to taste too sweet, so you need to balance it off with some tart taste. Strawberries and Blackberries have a bit of tart taste to them, so they work well. Also since you will most likely want a sauce on top of the waffles, it makes sense to use a base flavour ice cream such as vanilla.
Ghirardelli is a chocolate company from San Francisco that got bought out by Lindt.
Ghirardelli makes really good sauces. You can buy a set of 3 sauces on amazon.com. Everyone’s favourite is the chocolate one.
- Organic Jam (healthier, less sugar and preservatives) – blueberry or peach jam or marmalade. It is best to put the jam in a Ziploc bag and cut one corner of the Ziploc. Then you can easily put the jam on the waffle.
- Fruits (Banana, Strawberry, Blackberries)
- Sliced almonds (if allergic to nuts, do not use)
- 100% Pure Maple Syrup (tastes much better then the other pancake syrups)
- Ice Cream (if you are doing vegan, you can use soy ice cream) – vanilla
- Ghirardelli Sauces (Chocolate, White Chocolate or Caramel)
You can put on the toppings in order from top down from the list above.
Then you eat them until they are all gone!